Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Mother's Day Confessions

Confession:  For years I've secretly dreaded Mother's Day.  This  is should be that day of the year that I basque in the glory of my beautiful children and the wonderful job I'm doing to raise them.  It  is should be the day that I'm proud to say I'm a mom because no one else can do it quite like I can.  It  is should be the day that I don't have to listen to any bickering because in return for all the love I dish out to my family they, just for 12 hours or so, want to say thanks and show me love the way I will appreciate most.

I know it will start with breakfast in bed (well, unless it's like two years ago when everyone forgot until it was time to get ready for church).  The fire alarms will go off and wake me before the kids can bring my food...I love that part actually.  I'll hear them argue outside the door over who gets to give me the plate, and who has to give me the glass of milk or come in empty handed.  They may even argue over who did more on the breakfast preparations.  I wish they weren't so competitive and I could certainly do without the arguing but I do love that they want to please me.  To show me they love me.

The day will be inundated with stories of our near perfect moms in our blog posts (Hey I do this too, I'm not judging), magazine and news articles and talks at church.  They'll be about the moms who know where everything is when no one else does.  The moms who make everything better because they are the one person in the home that is patient and doesn't get frustrated.  The mom who runs their kids from one lesson to another and still manages to keep the house spotless and cook a homemade 4 course meal with parsley on the side and volunteers three times a week at the local food bank.  The stories will tell how moms are great multitaskers and have eyes in the back of their heads and have warm cookies and milk ready for their kid when they return home from school every day.  They have the best advise and can always make their kids smile when they've had a bad day.  They'll have the qualities I have...and many more that I don't.

Don't get me wrong.  I think it's wonderful that there's a holiday to honor those of us who do the most important of our Father's work. I wouldn't have it any other way.  But for years I've wondered if in that high esteem given us there is actually an expectation that's set that's too high for us moms to feel we can actually achieve.  Usually, by the end of the day I am realizing all the things I fail consistently in....and maybe that's good in some ways- after all we need reminders so we can continue to improve.  It'd just be nice if Mother's Day was the day we could take a break from the reality of our weaknesses and feel good about being a mom in spite of them.  Am I the only weird one?  That in people's desire to celebrate a mother's greatest strengths, and with all good intentions try to uplift us, we see our greatest weaknesses?  I have a feeling I'm not the only weird one.  And yes, I've discovered that it is weird.  Actually, it makes no sense.

Last night I went to a positive marriage class taught by a remarkable wife and mother, Carleen Tanner.  She talked about unreal expectations.  Although she was talking in regards to the expectations we set on our spouses I realized I need to apply this to myself.  I listen to the stories of other mom's perfections and expect myself to be able to duplicate ALL their strengths.  No mom can do that.  Why should I expect if of myself?

I also have set unreal expectations on those around me- although they didn't know it until now.  I'm basically saying, don't tell me the good stuff mom's do because it'll make me feel bad, but certainly don't tell me what they do wrong either because that's just plain rude.  Where does that leave anyone?  Out there in la-la land afraid to say anything for fear of offending me.  I'm the problem.  So the change needs to start 
with me.  And I'm proud to say I've had a change of heart.

Now, I'm looking forward to reading your mom blogs and listening to the wonderful stories of people's near perfect moms, at church.  And I'll be saying, "Good for you, to have a mom that awesome!  SOMEDAY I hope to have those same qualities, but I need to work on a little at a time."  I'll still have reservations.  I'll be hoping that my own kids won't be taking a mental tally and feeling slighted.  But when those thoughts pop in my head I'll remember who wants them there (and it's not God) and start my own list of the things I'm good at.  And when my kids fight and bicker and I honestly don't know what to do to make them stop I'll try my hardest to remember that somehow, in my imperfect glory, I'M the best mom for MY kids!

Happy Mother's Day!

14 comments:

  1. You love and serve your kids in ways no one ever could. I'm sure you are a great mom already! Happy Mother's day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Viviene. I try. And I definitely believe I'm the best thing for them.

      Delete
  2. stopping by from SITS! I feel like Mother's Day is more of a celebration of how much my children have enhanced my life. They also make it harder too! I do like the attention though:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that. I may have to adopt that into my outlook. My kids have definitely enhanced my life! Happy Mother's Day.

      Delete
  3. I LOVE this entry because I understand where you are coming from.

    Hope you have a splendid Mother's Day!

    Visiting from SITS, make it a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to know someone else gets where I'm coming from. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  4. Those stories of the perfect moms? LIES! Or just rose-colored 20-500 eyesight. As mothers we definitely need to be sure to accept ourselves including all our faults. Honestly, I think it’s been a successful day if the kid hasn’t maimed herself or someone else....or are my standards still too high? Thanks for stopping by this morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. I've had days where I feel successful when all the kids are still in one piece at the end of the day.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I enjoyed this post and can totally relate. My big goal is to just have less than half of the seven in therapy as adults.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure you're an awesome mom! Hope you had a happy Mother's Day.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by, Sandy. Happy Mother's Day.

    I was thinking...with as big a crew as you take care of you deserve 2 Mother's Day's! I say mid-October, right before the holiday season starts. You can start the holiday kick-off. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautifully done! I'm so glad to be in such good company. You expressed my own doubts and uncertainties perfectly! My biggest problem is seeing other at the top of their game and judging them from the bottom of mine. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how we tend to do that. Iv'e definitely been guilty of it. I think we usually see people at their best. I know I don't pull out all my faults in front of people. I wonder how many women think I'm doing a much better job than them because they've seen my top and look at their bottom. If they only knew, lol. (that sounded like a sentence about anatomy...it works that way too.)

      Delete

I love when you comment and will make every attempt to return the love! Make sure to include a link to your blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...