Sunday, August 26, 2012

Still feeding the multitudes


I love when great teachings we've learned in the past come to help us in the present.  A few years ago I was serving in the Young Women.  During a presidency meeting our president, a really cool lady whose initials are CP, reminded us of the story of Christ feeding the 4000 (or it may have been the 5000- there are two similar stories).  In the story the Lord had compassion on a multitude of people who'd been with him for three days and were hungry.  He asked his disciples to pull what they had.  The 7 loaves of bread and a few fish they came up with weren't sufficient to feed the people, but that didn't matter.  The Lord filled in what was needed and his purpose was met.   All he asks is that we give what we can and then he takes care of the rest.
For almost 2 years I've taught Gospel Doctrine classes at church.  I LOVE this calling.  Part of the reason I love it is that I've had more motivation to really dive in and study.  I got into the habit of spending at least an hour or two a day preparing and studying.  I've averaged 6-10 hours a week on each lesson.  What a great way to spend my time!

A couple months ago my time became much more occupied when I started a full-time job outside the home.  Fitting in that plus the responsibilities of running a home, active kids and care for a disabled person who lives with us has really taken it's toll on my gospel studies.  Some days all I can do is read a chapter or look over the lesson manual.  I've prayed about how to manage my time better so I can be prepared to teach my lessons and really study like I should.  Throughout July I took time from my husband on Saturday nights to prepare lessons... which feels like procrastination and scrambling-that really bothers me. 

At the end of July it was announced that our ward would be meeting at a new building and time.  Two hours later than normal.  I jumped on the opportunity for more time and created a new study schedule.  It's not ideal but it seems to be working.  I've been reading the scriptures during the week, the lessons on Monday so I can think about it throughout the week and get ideas for an object lesson.  I start extra readings on Saturday night and then get up between 4:30-5am on Sunday to finish planning it out.  I've still had a problem with leaving my lessons until right down to the last moment.  And I've still been praying about it.  Then yesterday I remembered the lesson learned from our young women's president.  It was what I needed.  I realized the Lord's hand was in the extra time given me and all I need do is all I can.  He is filling in the rest.  

Matthew 15:32-38

Then Jesus called his disciples unto him, and said, I have compassion on the multitude, because they continue with me now three days, and have nothing to eat: and I will not send them away fasting, lest they faint in the way.

And his disciples say unto him, Whence should we have so much bread in the wilderness, as to fill so great a multitude?

And Jesus saith unto them, How many loaves have ye? And they said, Seven, and a few little fishes.

And he commanded the multitude to sit down on the ground.

And he took the seven aloaves and the fishes, and gave thanks, and brake them, and gave to his disciples, and the disciples to the multitude.

And they did all eat, and were filled: and they atook up of thebbroken meat that was left seven baskets full.

And they that did eat were four thousand men, beside women and children.

2 comments:

  1. I know just how you feel. I had to go to work while I had pre-teen and teenagers at home and it was hard to fit everything in. I did find if I didn't do scripture study that the days didn't go so well. However, I can say that indeed the Lord makes up what we can't do after we have done our best. I know how hard it is to fit in a teaching assignment; but that was a spiritual lift in the preparation.
    Blessings for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post! I needed to hear this today. I get so caught up in trying to get everything done that I forget to include the Lord. And he can make up the difference! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I love when you comment and will make every attempt to return the love! Make sure to include a link to your blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...